Instructions for Cross-Registration and Auditing
Harvard University students as well as MIT and Tufts Fletcher students are welcome to cross-register into HKS classes.
Cross-Registering into HKS
For Harvard and Tufts Fletcher Students:
- Go to the Harvard University Course Catalog site.
- Log in with your HUID and PIN.
- Select your course and submit your request. Your petition will be reviewed and processed.
- Once your petition is processed, you will receive an email advising whether you are registered.
- If HKS confirms your enrollment, you should attend the class even if it does not yet appear on your home school record.
Note: Cross-registration is not available to students outside of Harvard, MIT, and Fletcher, those individuals can only audit courses.
For MIT Students:
As of the Spring 2017 semester, MIT students are no longer be able to use Harvard's Course Catalog and Cross Registration Application to cross register into Harvard courses.
Please visit MIT's Add/Drop application site to submit your Harvard Kennedy School Cross Registration requests.
Harvard Instructors will receive an email alerting them that you are interested in cross-registering into their course. Instructors approve or deny student requests online. For updates on the Instructor's decision, please check in the MIT Add/Drop application.
You are not officially enrolled in a course until the Harvard Registrar has approved your petition.
Auditing a Course at HKS
- Contact the faculty member and/or the faculty assistant and request to audit the course.
- Any student from outside Harvard must create a Harvard XID account using their official school e-mail address.
- Once your request is approved by the faculty, the faculty member or faculty assistant will grant you access to canvas course site as a "guest".
Jointly Listed Courses Hosted at HKS
- Students enrolled in the Harvard school where the course is listed will already have access to the course page.
- Fletcher and MIT students will be enrolled in the course via cross-registration, either with HKS or the other school, and will have access as an enrolled student.